Monday, February 18, 2008

Exchange2007:Error: Service 'MSExchangeTransport' failed to start. Check the event log for possible reasons for the service start failure.

On my Intel Desktop system:
============
When Installing Exchange 2007 SP1 into Windows 2008, the "Error: Service 'MSExchangeTransport' failed to start. Check the event log for possible reasons for the service start failure." pops up.

I did two things:

First, I set the IPv6 address for my NIC according to the online help. Restart the setup and fail again.

Second, according to Microsoft Technet, I access the registry and set the permission as follows:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

Add the computerName to the permission list and assign READ permission.
run the setup again and it works.

The transport role is installed during the permission modification because I start the setup procedure first and access the Registry a little bit later. Anyway, it works.

======
On HP DC5100 computer, I install Exchange 2007 SP1 32bit on Windows 2008 32bit without error.

I deselected the IPv6 on my NIC card properties.
======