Friday, December 28, 2007

Multiboot: Vista and Windows Server 2003--bcdedit

One SATA drive with two primary partitions created.

I installed Vista first, and then install Windows Server 2003 in the second partition.

I can only boot into Windows Server 2003.

To make the computer boot into Vista, I restart my computer with booting from Vista DVD. Repair your system and choose the Startup Repair.

It is good that I could boot into Vista. But where is my Windows Server 2003? I don't want to reinstall both OSes.

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast

Problem solved.

====

One EIDE hard drive:80GB.

  1. Install Vista in the first primary partition with 30GB. And then create a second Primary Partition for Windows server 2003. You must not install Windows server 2003 on a logical drive.
  2. After Vista is installed, I install the Windows Server 2003 on the second primary partition. The system would boot up.
  3. Start my system from Vista DVD--Repair --Startup Repair
  4. Restart the system into Vista;

Open Command Prompt Windows as Administrator

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast

  • Restart the system and select the Earlier Version of Windows to continue Windows Server 2003 installation.